Rutgers S.A.F.E.T.Y. Certification
- This is a three hour course which is conducted by a Rutgers Certified Trainer. It teaches player safety and coaching liability. It is highly recommended that a coach completes this course prior to stepping on the field to coach at any level. The course currently costs $30 per coach and MYAA absorbs this fee for the coach. The Rutgers S.A.F.E.T.Y. Clinic (Sports Awareness for Educating Today's Youth ™
) is a three-hour program that meets the"Minimum Standards for Volunteer Coaches Safety Orientation and Training Skills Programs"
(N.J.A.C. 5:52) and provides partial civil immunity protection to volunteer coaches under the "Little League Law"
(2A:62A-6 et. seq.). More information is available by clicking this link
Positive Coaching Alliance
- Positive Coaching Alliance is a national non-profit developing “Better Athletes, Better People” by working to provide all youth and high school athletes a positive, character-building youth sports experience. Learn more in this short video.
MYAA Requires each coach to be certified in 1 of the Double Goal Coaching Areas. Each coach who coaches for two years needs to be certified in 2 of the Double Goal Coaching Areas. Each coach who coaches for three or more years needs to be certified in all 3 of the Double Goal Coaching Areas.
1 - Double-Goal Coach®: Coaching for Winning and Life Lessons
2 - Double-Goal Coach®: Culture, Practices and Games
3 - Double-Goal Coach®: Coaching the Mental Game
We, MYAA, have been a partner with PCA for the last four years and these courses have become part of our coach training as well as a coaching discipline program. Each of these two hours classes need to be completed by all person who wish to coach any of our teams. Since we are still rolling this program out, it is not required to be taken prior to coaching, however, it is required to be taken as soon as it can be completed. These courses are free if attended in person at an MYAA sponsored class. Alternatively, these classes may be taken on-line for $18. MYAA will not re-imburse this fee. Additional information about PCA can be found by clicking on this link
We recommend taking the class in person rather than on-line since the instructor/audience interaction is only available for the live class.
- This check is mandated by the Township of Medford
. A coach's fingerprints and identifying information is provided to the State Police via the MorphoTrust Web Site and they respond to MYAA with whether of not the individual may coach based on his or her background check. If the State Police does not give permission for an individual to coach, the individual may appeal the decision but MYAA will not let that person coach until the State Police report to us that the person is allowed to coach. This check currently costs $26.50 and the individual coach needs to pay for the fee initially. Once completed, MYAA will reimburse the coach for the fee.
- This course is designed to help the coaches determine if a player has sustained a concussion. It takes twenty minutes to complete and is required for every coach for each season that he coaches. The course is free of charge and is called -
Heads Up: Concussion in Youth Sports. It is an online course available to coaches, parents, and others helping to keep athletes safe from concussion. It features interviews with leading experts, dynamic graphics and interactive exercises, and compelling storytelling to help you recognize a concussion and know how to respond if you think that your athlete might have a concussion.
Once you complete the training and quiz, you can print out a certificate, making it easy to show your league or school you are ready for the season.
What You Will Learn
This course will help you:
- Understand a concussion and the potential consequences of this injury,
- Recognize concussion signs and symptoms and how to respond,
- Learn about steps for returning to activity (play and school) after a concussion, and
- Focus on prevention and preparedness to help keep athletes safe season-to-season.
Additional information is available at this link.